- Winter Weather
In the event of bad weather we will always try to update our school website www.dalzielhigh.org.uk with the latest news to tell parents when the school is closed.
Attendance at school by children and young people is essential in order that they receive the education to which they are entitled. Absence from school, whatever the cause, disrupts learning and will impact negatively on the life chances of our children and young people and therefore our community.
The school operates period by period registration using SEEMIS which is our education management software system. In supporting our endeavours we ask that if you know your child is going to be absent from school you make contact with the office before the start of the school day, explaining the reason for the absence. If you know roughly how long your child is going to be absent, please let us know this.
- Remembrance Service
The annual Remembrance Service took place on Sunday 10 November. The event was well attended by staff, pupils, parents and former Dalzielians.
- S4 Prelim Exams
S4 pupils have been sitting their Prelim exams over the last two weeks. S5/6 pupils will be starting their Prelim Exams on 6 January 2020 and have been issued with their exam timetables.
- Christmas Service
The Christmas Service this year will take place on Wednesday 18 December. This is always an enjoyable and well attended event. The service will start at 11.00 am and finish at approximately 12 noon. Pupils will have an extended lunch on that day and will be dismissed for lunch from the Church.
- Inter-House Public Speaking Competition Results
The school’s annual Public Speaking Competition took place on Wednesday 6 November with top place going to Barclay House and Callum Sergeant, S5, judged the best individual performer.
- Children in Need
In order to support Children In Need as a school, we had a dress down day on Friday 16 November. Each pupil and member of staff was asked to make a donation of £1, or an amount of their choice, as they entered the school and raised £829.78. Many thanks for your support with this.
- Christmas Jumper Day
As you may be aware, Friday 13 December is National Christmas Jumper Day. At the request of the Pupil Council, we will permit pupils to wear Christmas Jumpers on this day, along with their school uniforms. We would like to stress that this is not compulsory, but a pupil’s own choice. We will also have a collection bucket in the Social Area at morning break to support ‘Cash for Kids’, however, once again, this is not compulsory, but a donation.
- Christmas Dances
Tickets for the Dalziel Christmas Dances are now on sale, costing £6.00 for S1-S4 pupils and £10 for the S5/6 Dance, which includes a buffet.
Formal dress is required for the Christmas Dances - ie no jeans, trainers, Converse shoes or casual clothes.
Our Christmas dances take place on the following evenings:-
- S1-Monday 9 December - 7.00 pm - 10.00 pm Ticket Price - £6.00
- S2-Tuesday 10 December - 7.00 pm - 10.15 pm Ticket Price - £6.00
- S3-Monday 16 December - 7.00 pm - 10.30 pm Ticket Price - £6.00
- S4-Tuesday 17 December - 7.00 pm - 10.45 pm Ticket Price - £6.00
- S5/6-Wednesday 18 December - 6.00 pm - 10.45 pm Ticket Price - £10.00
- Tracking and Monitoring
As you know, all year groups receive between 3 and 4 reports per year.
This is aimed at improving communication between school and home in order to continue to raise attainment.
This year, we have moved to Progress and Achievement Reports for S1-S3. S1 will receive their 2nd Progress and Achievement Tracking Reports on 16 December.
S5 Tracking Reports will be issued on 13 December and S4 Tracking Reports will be issued to parents on 23 January 2020.
Pupils in S4-S6 will engage in discussion with each of their class teachers, jointly set targets and discuss how to go about achieving these targets.
This will include the current working grade based on Prelim results and class work and the target grades pupils should aim for. There will also be comments from each class teacher and Pupil Support Tutors.
- S4 Careers Event
Following the success of last year’s S4 Careers Convention, we plan to hold a similar event on Monday 9 December. Part of the convention involves representatives from a variety of professions and industries holding short workshops for groups of pupils, where they give some insight into their job and answer any questions the pupils may have. We also plan to hold a similar event for S2 in February. We had a good representation from a variety of occupations last year and would be delighted to add to this. If you would be interested in leading a workshop for S2 to tell pupils about your career (what it involves, qualifications and/or training required) please contact Mrs Louise Kerr at the school on 01698 274900.
- School Uniform
We are always happy to receive donations of blazers, ties etc that are no longer needed – especially for girls. Any items of uniform no longer needed can be handed in to the School Office.
- Parents' Association Christmas Raffle
A reminder that all raffle tickets should be returned to the school by Monday 9 December as the draw will take place on Tuesday 10 December.
- General Election Inset Day
Due to the forthcoming General Election on Thursday 12 December, the school will be closed to pupils on that day.
- Dates For Your Diary
- Friday 6 December - S4 Prelims end
- Monday 9 December - S1 Christmas Dance
- Tuesday 10 December - S2 Christmas Dance
- Thursday 12 December - School closed for General Election (Inset Day for staff)
- Friday 13 December - Christmas Jumper Day
- Friday 13 December - S5/6 Tracking Report 2 issued
- Monday 16 December - S1 Tracking Report 2 issued
- Monday 16 December - S3 Christmas Dance
- Tuesday 17 December - S4 Christmas Dance
- Wednesday 18 December - S5/6 Christmas Dance
- Wednesday 18 December - Christmas Service - 11.00 am
- Thursday 19 December - School closes - 2.30 pm
- Monday 6 January 2020 - School re-opens
- Monday 6 January 2020 - S5/6 Prelims begin
- Thursday 16 January 2020 - S1 Parents’ Evening
- Friday 17 January 2020 - S5/6 Prelims end
- Thursday 23 January 2020 - S4 Tracking Report 2 issued
- Monday 27 January 2020 - Burns Supper
- Tuesday 28 January 2020 - S2 Tracking Report 2 issued