Being competent in English is the key to success in many aspects of life and work. Skills in English language and communication are important in many school, college and university courses and are essential in many occupations. A qualification in English is often required for entry to Further and Higher Education. This course aims to improve and extend a student’s experience of English literature in Prose, Poetry, Drama and Media.
This is at the discretion of the school but the normal expectation would be to have attained a pass at National 5.
The Internally Assessed Course is made up of one mandatory Unit which provides learners with the opportunity to develop their Listening and Talking skills. The unit is called Performancepken Language.
To gain the overall award of the Course, the learner must pass this Internal Unit as well as the External Course assessment outlined below:
- Reading for UAE Exam =30%
- Critical Reading Exam - One Critical Essay. 20%
- Critical Reading Exam -Scottish Text Question. 20%
- Critical Reading Exam - 40% in total
- 2 pieces: 1 broadly Creative + 1 broadly Discursive
- Creative: Personal/Reflective or Imaginative.
- Discursive: Argumentative or Persuasive.
- Maximum 1300 words each essay.
- Each piece marked out of 15 = 30%
For specimen papers and more information on Higher English please visit: www.sqa.org.uk