Senior Phase National Qualification Courses in Art and Design are delivered in S4-S6 with all pupils covering three elements: Design, Expressive and associated Critical Activity. In the senior phase, pupils can study National 4, National 5 and Higher Art & Design, with pupils in S6 having the opportunity to study Advanced Higher Art and Design. Higher Photography is offered to both S5 & S6.
What skills will my child develop in Art and Design National Qualification courses?
- a greater knowledge, understanding and ability to critically analyse artists and designers as creative practitioners
- a deeper understanding of external factors influencing artists and designers
- experimenting with a variety of art and design materials to refine ideas
- practical skills in using materials, techniques and/or technology
- producing analytical drawings and investigative studies
- creativity and imaginative expression
- critical appreciation of aesthetic and cultural values, identities and ideas
- planning, producing and presenting creative art and design work
- investigating and analysing how artists/designers use materials/techniques
- applying this knowledge to his/her own creative practice
- problem-solving and critical analysis to find solutions to design briefs
- confidence in creative practice and in creative self-expression