- Burns Supper
Congratulations to all those who took part in the recent Burns Supper. It was a fantastic evening with great entertainment.
We welcome the following new staff to our school:
- Mrs Esdaile - PT Social Subjects
- Mrs Heenan - Teacher of Biology
- Mrs Kelly - Teacher of Chemistry
- Mr Jack - Teacher of Computing
- Careers Convention
On Tuesday 23 February we will be holding our Careers Convention, which is designed to help your child with their personalisation and choice process.
The event will be open from 4.30 pm to 6.30 pm and will involve a variety of exhibitors from various different positive destinations. We have had confirmation from most of the universities in Scotland, the local colleges, several training providers and several companies such as AMEC Foster Wheeler (Engineering), Barclays, EKTGA Engineering, Police Scotland and The Royal Navy.
This event was very successful last year and we know that it will provide your child with a range of information, which will help them to find out more about careers that interest them.
The event is open to pupils from all year groups and we would also like to extend the invitation to parents. This will allow you to gather information, which will allow you to assist your child with career decisions that they may be making. Please encourage your child to attend this event and we hope to see you also on 23 February.
Please see the school website for a full list of exhibitors.
- Health Fayre
Plans are underway for our annual Health Fayre. This year the theme of our Fayre is the Rio Olympic Games and pupils and staff will be encouraged to participate in numerous activities and sample healthy snacks. A number of lunchtime events for staff and pupils have also been arranged throughout the week, including the Staff v Pupils Rowing Challenge. Pupils will also have the opportunity to experience a carnival style day with appropriate styles of food and dance. The Health Fayre takes place in the Assembly Hall from Monday 7 March to Friday 11 March.
- S2 Subject Choices
All S2 pupils will soon be involved in the Personalisation and Choice process for choosing their S3 subjects. This has been discussed with them at Assemblies and the following gives an indication of other aspects to this, along with key dates:
- Week beginning 15 February - Process discussed in Health and Well-Being classes
- Wednesday 17 February - S2 Reports and Personalisation and Choice Booklets issued to pupils.
- Tuesday 23 February - S2 Careers Fayre in School for pupils and information session for parents after school
- Tuesday 23 February - S2 Personalisation and Choice presentation to parents
- Tuesday 1 March - S2 Personalisation and Choice forms to be returned to the School Office
Throughout this process, pupils are encouraged to speak to subject teachers regarding further information on specific subjects.
- S5/6 Subject Choices
All S4 and S5 pupils, who intend to return to school in August 2015, will be issued with a Personalisation and Choice Booklet this month at Assembly. Pupils can speak to their Pupil Support Tutor or Mrs Martin for further advice and information.
Option forms should be returned to the School Office by FRIDAY 11 MARCH 2016.
- S5/6 Prelims
S5/6 Prelims take place from 3 February to 19 February.
- Spring Concert
The Music Department Spring Concert takes place on Tuesday 22 March in the School Assembly Hall.
- School Survey
All pupils, parents and staff will be asked to complete our annual School Survey at the start of March. The link to the survey will be available on our school website and paper copies will be available on request.
- Celebrating Success - Creative Residency
Dalziel High School’s Emily Weir and Rowan Duffy showcased their outstanding work at North Lanarkshire’s Creative Residency Exhibition 2016.
On Thursday 14 January 2016, the work of highly skilled Dalziel High School musician, Emily Weir, and Art and Design pupil, Rowan Duffy, was showcased and celebrated at the 12th Annual Creative Residency Exhibition. Emily sang beautifully on the evening of the showcase at Summerlee Museum of Scottish Industrial Life, Coatbridge and the artwork of Rowan and the other Art and Design students continues to be exhibited for one month.
North Lanarkshire Council’s Creative Residency is a unique and successful initiative where S4 pupils from across all of North Lanarkshire’s high schools can use it as a vehicle to further develop and - 3 - enhance their creativity as young musicians, artists, designers, actors, actresses and creative writers in a realistic context that is highly relevant to young people.
The rigorous application process was the first step in allowing both Emily and Rowan to experience the initial challenges of the Residency and in September they participated in the Masterclass, where they honed and refined their newly found skills, previously explored whilst in Oban.
Dalziel High School is extremely proud of both Emily and Rowan and their immense achievement within this process.
- Celebrating Success - Badminton
Many congratulations and very well done go to all the following pupils who represented the School at the recent finals of the LASBA Secondary Championships where Dalziel won the following finals:
- Under 13 Boys’ Singles – Lewis Hart
- Under 14 Girls’ Singles – Rachel Wedlock
- Under 14 Mixed Doubles – Lewis Hart & Rachel Wedlock
- Under 16 Boys’ Singles – Alex Scott
The following were also runner-up trophy winners:
- Under 16 Boys’ Doubles – Fraser Dickson & Cameron Yau
- Under 19 Boys’ Singles – Ross Dick
- Under 19 Boys’ Doubles – Ross Dick & Lewis Hart
The winners now go on to represent Dalziel at the Scottish National Finals in March.
Congratulations also go to S6 pupil, Alex Dunn , who continued his amazing badminton success at various championships recently held in Iceland, Hungary, Ireland, Wales, and Scotland, where he won a number of gold, silver and bronze medals to add to his very extensive collection.
- Grangemouth Open Athletics
Dion Ingram, S3, took part in the Grangemouth Open Athletics on 12 January winning first place in the Hurdles event. Well done, Dion.
- Dates for your Diary:
- Wednesday 3 February - Friday 19 February - S5/6 Prelims
- Tuesday 16 February - S2 Reports and Options Issued
- Tuesday 23 February - Careers Event
- Thursday 3 March - S4 Parents’ Evening
- Monday 7 March - Friday 11 March - Health Fayre
- Friday 18 March - S5/6 Reports issued
- Thursday 31 March - Church Service
- Friday 1 April - Games Morning