We offer a warm welcome to Pamela Dodd who takes up a permanent post as Teacher of English and Drama.
- Inter-house Public Speaking Competition
Congratulations to Greig House who won the House trophy and to Emma Williams S4 who won the individual prize.
- Remembrance Service
Our annual Remembrance Service was very well attended on Sunday 11 November.
S3 Prelims run from Monday 26 November until Wednesday 12 December inclusive. All S3 pupils have been issued with an exam timetable and a letter detailing study leave and conduct in examination rooms. We would ask for your co-operation in ensuring that all pupils make the most of the remaining few weeks in class and at home to prepare for these exams.
- School Refurbishment
The Boys’ and Girls’ toilets have now been refurbished and a number of classrooms have had the flooring replaced.
- Celebrating Success
Congratulations go to the following pupils on their amazing successes:-
Jack McComish, S6, has been selected to compete at the WISE (Home Nations) Swimming International in Sunderland from 16-18 November 2012.
Michelle Boyle, S5, won a bronze medal in the European Flanders Judo cup (Under 17s) in Belgium.
Alex Dunn, S3, who over the last few weeks has won:-
- silver medals in the U-17 boys singles and mixed double events and a bronze medal in the boys doubles event at the Badminton England U-17 Gold Badminton tournament in Wales
- gold medals in the boys singles, boys doubles and mixed doubles events at the Badminton England U-15 Gold Badminton tournament
- gold medals in the boys singles, boys doubles and mixed doubles events in the Bank of Scotland Scottish National Junior Badminton Championships, retaining his title for the U-15 Scottish Champion in all three events.
Isla McGuire, Rebeka O’Rorke, Katie MacFarlane, Kayley Miller and Emily Weir, S2, who have all achieved their NPA (National Progression Award) in Dance, SQA accredited. They are possibly the youngest group in the UK ever to achieve this success.
Oliver Park, S1, won a gold medal in the Scottish Judo Championships and followed that with another gold medal at the 2012 British Judo Championships in Sheffield on 13 October.
- SQA Appeals
Standard Grade and Intermediate appeals are now in and pupils should have been informed if they were successful.
Attendance at school by children and young people is essential in order that they receive the education to which they are entitled. Absence from school, whatever the cause, disrupts learning and will impact negatively on the life chances of our children and young people and therefore our community.
The school has moved to period by period registration using SEEMIS which is our education management software system. In supporting our endeavours we ask that if you know your child is going to be absent from school we would ask that you make contact with the office before the start of the school day, explaining the reason for the absence. If you know roughly how long your child is going to be absent, please let us know this.
Our Pupil Support Principal Teachers are currently updating our Attendance Monitoring procedures and information regarding this policy will be issued to parents and carers in the near future. Senior pupils can check their weekly attendance figures outside the Pupil Support Base. Any anomalies in attendance that may effect EMA payments must be reported to Mr Fleming.
- NLC Employability Event
North Lanarkshire Council is holding an employability event on 27 November from 3.30 pm - 5.00 pm in the Civic Centre, Motherwell for parents and school staff.
The purpose of the event is to raise awareness of post-school progression opportunities for young people looking to move on to further education, employment and training.
This is a fantastic opportunity for young people’s main advisors to come along and find out first-hand what’s available to them and how best to support them into a career suited to their needs and aspirations.
This event will enhance the speed networking events, organised by North Lanarkshire Council which students from across the schools in the authority will attend in three localities - Airdrie, Cumbernauld and Motherwell.
- Children in Need
To support Children in Need on Friday 16 November, we will be encouraging pupils and staff to participate in a non-uniform/crazy hair day. A donation of £1.00 will be collected on the day.
- Dates for Your Diary
- Monday 19 and Tuesday 20 November - In-service Days
- Thursday 22 November - S4 Parents’ Evening
- Monday 26 November - S3 Prelims begin
- Tuesday 4 December - S2 Settling In Reports issued
- Friday 7 December - S1 Pantomime Visit
- Tuesday 11 December - S1 Christmas Dance
- Wednesday 12 December - S2 Christmas Dance
- Thursday 13 December - S3 Christmas Dance
- Tuesday 18 December - S4 Christmas Dance
- Wednesday 19 December - S5/6 Christmas Dance
- Thursday 20 December - Christmas Service
- Friday 21 December - School Closes
- Monday 7 January - School Re-opens
You have been sent this message as you have registered this email address to receive the Rector's Monthly Newsletter. If you wish to unsubscribe, please reply to this message with the word "UNSUBSCRIBE" in the email subject.