Round 1 of the NLC Active Schools competition was held at Cumbernauld RFC on Wed 26th April.
Competitions were held at S1, S2 and S3 age groups. Dalziel have too few to offer an s2 side so it was S1 with 9 players and S3 with eventually 6 who travelled. It is with some considerable delight that it can be reported that the Dalziel teams ended the day unbeaten!
The S1 squad worked really hard to defeat Coatbridge A and B, St Maurices and Cumbernauld each by convincing margins! Games were played in 4 minute halves so it was important to start well and to maintain momentum. This the boys did in each game and what was even more special was that every player scored at least one try.
There was some excellent rugby played and despite this being their first Sevens outing – tactics are very different from those at 15-a-side – the boys adapted quickly and held their shape well throughout.
- Coatbridge A 2-0 win Tries from Lleyton Kearney, Adam Skelton
- St Maurice’s 5-1 win. Tries Oscar logan (3), Kearney, Griffin Jackson
- Coatbridge B 6-2 win Tries from Kearney, Logan, Jackson, Andrew Sneddon and Kyle McAllister-Keenan
- Cumbernauld 6-0 win Tries from Liam Donnelly, Cameron Marshall, Jackson (2) and Logan (2)
- Despite having around 15 rugby players in the year group Dalziel S3’s travelled short of one player. Fortunately they were bolstered by the inclusion of Cumbernauld hit-man Jay who proved an excellent recruit.
Once again the boys responded really well to the challenge and took the game to their opponents, dominating each game to end up top of the tree.
- Chryston 14 – 0 win Tries (3 pts each) from Jay, Ross Duguid, Callum Wilkie, Conversion (2 pts each) Jack Lilly (2)
- St Maurice’s 14 -4 win Tries from Jay (2), Andrew Forrest, Duguid Conv Lilly (2)
- Chryston 17 – 0 win Tries from Duguid (3), Wilkie and Jay. Conv Lilly (2)
This was Round 1 of 3 with Round 2 taking place on 10th May at Coatbridge when it is to be hoped that the same players will all be available again – although a few more S3’s would not go amiss!