Dalziel High School and Amec Foster Wheeler agreed that an opportunity that would benefit pupils from the school would be a work placement for S6 pupils during the summer period. This was introduced in Summer 2014.
Amec Foster Wheeler offered 3 paid work placements at their facilities in Aberdeen.
The final package Dalziel High school managed to achieve was:
- Paid work placement for 3 S6 pupils for the summer holiday on leaving school
- Accommodation supplied by UNITE the student accommodation company. This was free of charge for the 6 week placement for the 3 pupils
- £200 supermarket voucher for each pupil to help with buying food etc. (Externally funded by Aberdeen Asset Management.)
The true measure of success was the impact that this had:
- Pupils and Amec Foster Wheeler both had a rewarding work placement. The pupils contributed well to large / high priority projects.
- Pupils seemed more confident and learned some life skills in staying away from home for the 6 week period.
- 2 of the pupils now want to study in Aberdeen.
- • One particular pupil who had a conditional place for Computing based course at University starting Sep 2014 declined the course and is now applying for an engineering course for 2015. In the meantime he is doing an HNC in engineering. He said that the work placement opened his eyes to working as a structural engineer and has now changed his life plans to achieve this.
This partnership of Amec Foster Wheeler and UNITE has now been agreed for a total of 5 years.
3 successful summer work placements have taken place in July 2014, July 2015 and July 2016.