Page 2 of 8
Analysis: Areas of Study
We will study a variety of texts. These are just some the areas that we will study:
- Representation – use of public image
- Audience – psychological analysis of intended audience
- Narrative – structure of stories and how the brain interprets information
- Institution – legal and business controls
- Society – societal attitudes towards ideas/topics
- Language – how techniques and images are used to create meaning
- Categories – genre markers
- How advertising companies use psychological tricks to force the public into buying their products.
- How news stories are constructed
- How news companies can force the public into changing their opinion on important subjects.