Every effort will be made to encourage pupils of all ages and all abilities to develop the skills and techniques involved in mathematics. The teaching approaches and the level of competence required will vary according to year group and ability level. The main aims of the maths department are detailed below.
- To teach, revise and consolidate mathematical ideas and concepts.
- To encourage pupils to present their work in a legible and orderly way, demonstrating all working whenever possible.
- To enable pupils to tackle both routine and non-routine problems.
- To encourage and develop pupils’ mental calculation skills, restricting calculator use to appropriate situations.
- To enable pupils to develop to the limit of their capabilities in mathematics and to teach them the mathematical and numeracy skills required for their future needs in life beyond school.
- To encourage pupils to develop an appreciation and enjoyment of mathematics.
- To contribute to the personal development and overall education of our pupils.